Today, North Shore Railroad is a 36 mile shortline that interchanges with Norfolk Southern in Northumberland and Canadian Pacific Railway in Sunbury. NSHR handles commodities that vary from grains and plastics to scrap metals and concrete vaults. The infrastructure is owned by SEDA-CoG JRA.
The North Shore Railroad Company, established August 1, 1984, is shortline serving Northumberland, Danville, Bloomsburg, and Berwick, Pennsylvania. The North Shore parallels the North Branch of the Susquehanna River and the old North Branch Canal. The North Shore line was orignally built by Lackawanna & Bloomsburg Railroad (L&B), incorporated in 1852 to serve the coal mines and iron industry between Scranton and Northumberland. The L&B became part of the Delaware Lackawanna & Western Railroad (DL&W) in 1873. DL&W became Erie Lackawanna in 1960 and then Conrail in 1976. Conrail abandoned the middle portion of the line between Hicks Ferry and Kinston, and then sold the western segment to the SEDA-CoG Joint Rail Authority in 1984. The Rail Authority then contracted with the North Shore Railroad Company to operate it.