About Us Railroads Doing Business In the News Calendar of Events Photos Links On Track, Newsletter Transloading Home Page
Union County Industrial Railroad


"North Shore's service is second to none. North Shore is always looking out for our best interest."

Ed Hoffman
Plant Manager
Cargill Feed & Nutrition
Winfield, PA

Congratulations to Union County Industrial Railroad!

Silver Award for 250 Squared Business Initiative Award - 501- 750 Carloads
at the 2017 Norfolk Southern Annual Short Line Meeting

2016 “Jake Award with Distinction” from
the American Short Line Regional Railroad Association

2015 “Jake Award with Distinction” from
the American Short Line Regional Railroad Association

2014 “Jake Award with Distinction” from
the American Short Line Regional Railroad Association


Serving Customers from New Columbia to Winfield, PA | Since March 30, 1995

Today, Union County Industrial Railroad is a 18.2 mile short line that interchanges with Norfolk Southern in Northumberland and Canadian Pacific Railway in Sunbury. In December 2013, the completion of the restoration of the White Deer Bridge effectively restored service to Allenwood, PA and, in particular, Great Stream Commons (GSC). GSC is one of only three known sites in PA that offers highway and rail access and the option of being able to site a two million square foot building.    

The present Union County Industrial Railroad extends from its southern terminus at Winfield, PA, through West Milton to Allenwood, PA. This was Reading Railroad territory. At West Milton, the Reading’s “SS&L” (Shamokin, Sunbury & Lewisburg) line met its “Catawissa Railroad” which continued northward to Williamsport. The line from West Milton, through New Columbia to Newberry Jct at Williamsport, was part of the Reading’s longest and most lucrative haul, from the Port of Philadelphia to friendly western connections. The antecedent of this line was the Catawissa, Williamsport & Erie Railroad (CW&E RR), which had been incorporated in 1829 as the Little Schuylkill & Susquehanna Railroad, but never reached Catawissa. The new CW&E RR in 1854 finished construction of the line as far west as Milton, Pa, where a connection was made with the Sunbury & Erie Railroad. For the next fifteen years, Williamsport was reached by operating its trains over the Sunbury & Erie. By 1860, the CW&E RR had fallen under the influence of the Philadelphia & Reading Railroad, which reorganized the line as simply the Catawissa Railroad. This company continued its separate existence until 1953, when it was merged into its parent. With the formation of Conrail in 1976, Williamsport-bound traffic was moved to the former Pennsylvania Railroad (PRR) Buffalo Main and the “Catawissa route” was in large part abandoned. The remaining trackage was sold by Conrail in 1995, at which time the Union County Industrial Railroad was formed to operate the line.


Stations Served

Station Name
Zip Code
Other information
Milton, PA
West Milton, PA
Lewisburg, PA
Winfield, PA
New Columbia, PA
Northumberland, PA
NS Interchange Station

Director of Operations
Tom Avery | 570.473.0915

Superintendent of Operations
Randy Ulrich | 570.473.0935

Physical Address
356 Priestley Avenue
Northumberland, PA 17857

The northbound Union County local rolls through Montandon.

356 Priestley Avenue | Northumberland, PA 17857 | 570.473.7949